Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Week 2 Limbo lifestyle - Roughing it urban style

I have a problem- no it's really more of an addiction that I just can't seem to kick. So subtle, so pervasive was this problem that untill my source was yanked out from under me, I didn't even realize I was dependent! I got my fix sometimes mutliple times a day without batting an eye! Wasn't even claiming I could quit whenever I wanted. My dirty little secret? Promise you won't judge... I Love to shower! Yes it's true. Even further, I love HOT showers. I've been the butt of more than one joke pointed at my love of hot, slightly longer than normal showers. Which is why, on day 1 of week 2 in my limbo lifestyle, I found myself entirely befuddled at 6:30am staring at the ice cold water spewing out of the shower head in the apartment I was "sitting". Now as much as I love hot water, (and believe me, I could write Odes to it) I hate cold showers. I have been known to end my shower on cold from time to time, but that was only after cranking the heat up to skin scalding levels that made the switch to cold bearable. After staring at the shower and watching icicles form (only slightly exaggerating) I dumbly trudged into the OTHER shower - "Surely the problem is localized" I thought, ignoring my construction site upbringing and shusshing the memories of making plumbing house calls with my father. Amazingly not only was the water cold in shower number two, but out of all of the faucets in the house as well! What are the odds! By the time I had established this fact in my still sleepy, yet oh so scientific way it was nearing 7 and my window for both making it on time-ish to work and not looking like a porqupine on speed was narrowing. I showered and I'm pretty sure I set a record for the fastest one ever taken. That night, with a help desk call put in to my aformentioned "He-can-fix/build-anything" Dad. I scoured the building, creeping into dark and webby places looking for the water heater that I might ether then fix or kick (I hadn't decided). Unfortunately niether was to be, and I embarked on what could be called an Urban Adventure! While my dear friend Chelsea was home, I soaked up the hot water at her house. I found myself prowling the streets in my brave little Jetta, peering up into peoples warm-lit houses at night...."bet they have hot water"...I'd mumble before puttering off into the night. Chelsea however, was forced off to Orlando on business, and this week I have taken to the gym showers with something less than gusto. Maybe it's the fact that I dont like other peoples shower water running in from their stalls and pooling around my feet in inches of soapy-post workout mystery, maybe its the fact that I can't seem to remember everything I need and that Shampoo ALWAYS falls to the wayside so I end up using the gym shampoo that makes my hair feel like I washed it with a bar of Dial. Who can say? What I do know is that if, after a week of twice a day workouts, I don't start looking like a super model, and I mean SERIOUSLY (the hair, skin and full makeup crew included) I'm going to be extremely disgruntled! ....which now that I think about it, is pretty much par for the course...so maybe not that different after all.

1 comment:

  1. Sing Hey! For the bath at the close of the day

    That washes the weary mud away!

    A loon is he that will not sing:

    O! Water Hot is a noble thing!



    O! Sweet is the sound of falling rain,

    And the brook that leaps from hill to plain;

    But better than rain or rippling streams

    Is Water Hot that smokes and steams.



    O Water cold we may pour at need

    Down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed;

    But better is Beer, if drink we lack,

    And Water Hot poured down the back.



    O! Water is fair that leaps on high

    In a fountain white beneath the sky;

    But never did fountain sound so sweet

    As splashing Hot Water with my feet!



    J.R.R. Tolkien

    The Fellowship of the Ring

    ReplyDelete